Thursday, 18 February 2010

27 Reasons Why KORA Is The Best Band EVER!


I always talk this band up, so I thought I better back myself up. So here is 27 reason why I think KORA, is the best band ever! If you know The Delivery Man, you'll know why it's 27. I know it's not neccessary, but i'mma let it be known for the fact they are & i'd like to think I'm the biggest Kora fan around!


1. Their debut album I believe is the best album in the world. If they ever have a live one, they'll have the 2 best albums in the world. I'll argue why just like you & your favourite album. There hasn't been a album that has amazed me as much as when I heard this.

2. They've got one of the most simple/solid songs about culture. "...never give up on our culture, cause when a cultures lost, another cultures won..." agreed?

3. They've been made into dope cartoon characters with dope names! Tiger Cutler, Danalow, Chen Chen, Wicket & Sephiro

4. They use an Alesis Andromeda A6 & transform it into the most solid Synthesizer that gives their music super-powers!

5. They never fail to deliver when they perform live. I believe they were born live. Every song is energetic, tight, powerful & no one botz' it! They all know their role on stage & they do it solid!

6. Their harmonies. They've sussed out what works best for them and have got them on point! Powerful & Rootsy!

7. Have you heard their lyrics? Insane! "..i'll pop your bubble & if you bring enough ___, i'll lay you out on the double" - YEAH!

8. They played a FREE gig in South Auckland! Shot KORA!

9. They are a family band of brothers (inc Dan!) I think that's a reason why they've got such a rich & powerful sound & (their tightness as a band), because they've got that family connection & jamming with the brothers is pretty hard to beat!

10. Some of the brothers do Brazilian Ju-Jitsu (Brad, Fran & Stu...I Think?) that's dope! Fighting, like Music, is a solid release (so I've heard?) lol

11. Their live pause! (when the band stops completely for an amount of bars) was something fresh on the scene & is their trademark move. Thing is, you don't know how long they gonna stop for.

12. They've played together as brothers since Primary playing with their dad "Tait Kora" in a band called Auntie Beatrice. That would've been mean to be in a family band back in Primary days!

13. Their songs have similar themes just like everyone else' songs, but they switch it up & disguise it with their Poetic style that make people think it's some weird shit when actually it's not lol - "...Give me an inch & i'll make it a mile, spent my last coin, on a crooked smile / show me the way, if you leave I shall live to fight another day.." SOLID!

14. The number of tracks (inc 2 interludes) on their album, which to this day I still have not gotten sick of!

15. Their "Skankenstein" clip, was the CRAZIEST! Proves why these brothers are the CRAZIEST!

16. Their range of sound! From "Barely Can't See" to "War" to "Skoolyard" to "The Delivery Man" just to name a few.

17. They know the meaning of a band, the meaning of live music & how to make the most out of their sound. It's evident in their live performances & even when they did their studio album, would've been a hard switch but they sussed it!

18. I believe they go by the rule "Play Hard or Go Home!" and going by what i've seen, they never want to go home!

19. Everything they touch, it's gold! I mean look at Lewis McCallums new track with Fran Kora "First Date" Fran kills it with his solid vocals and putting it down Kora style with his lyrics "..Guess my moves were something whack / My head is spinning tryin to come up with a plan!..." - It's my new fav song. I'm gonna bet it's in my Top 5 of this year!

20. The best live music show i've seen thus far (why Ive been to more than 5) They're not the most fancy musicians doing mind blowing solos or anything but stage presence, energy & feel is insane! Know each other well as musos.

21. I heard they were playing at King Of The Door. Solid fight music! lol

22. The fact that they are a NZ band is pretty awesome to know!

23. Their music has an awesome dark edge which is mellowed by their massive NZ vocals/harmonies. Gotta have the darkness! lol

24. The song "On My Mind" - Probably the most played Kora song out of the lot because it's the one that people get hooked and is the introduction to Kora on many occassions. I like it because at most good music parties, you know you'll hear at least one Kora song! - "Don't fake me, don't play me, i'll smash you in the face & you won't like me!"

25. Laughton Kora acknowledged my effort as a fan for my self-made Kora T Shirt I take to every gig (cause it's the only one signed by all members. It got a beer stain from a horsed dude at a Kora gig, so it's now the Kora flag) and pretty much follow them everywhere. Shot Laughton. I'm a pretty hardout Kora fan!

26. Brad Kora (The Drummer) Gave me his drumsticks! Shot bruda, Bless!

27. "...CAUSE THAT NUMBER 27 IS THE RIGHT PLACE TO BE!"

....and big ups to their Tait for forcing music outta them, Respect!
---------

Well that's my reasons. It could've been longer & in more depth but you can hit me up if you want to know anything else. I suggest you buy the album, it'll be $30 well spent! Make sure you catch their live show if you haven't already done so, you'll be amazed!
 
 
KORA - THAT'S WASSUP!

No comments:

Post a Comment