Friday, 15 January 2010

4 The Rhyme: Louie Knuxx - Hip Hop In NZ/AU


Wassup. Gonna try and start up a new thing (that doesn't turn to shit) called "4 The Rhyme". Nothing to spectacular, just a lil somethin' different to read. 4 questions (on music) answered by NZ artists. (I'd love to do more & pick artists brains; could go on for ages! But 4z all good for now)

As I still think NZ music is the dopest, I was thinking of NZ artists now doing things overseas & how different it is to ours.  So I got a hold of Louie Knuxx (Artist originally from New Plymouth) who is now based in Australia to say a little about what he thinks of both (Hip Hop) scenes. Didn't edit shit either, keep it raw. Shot Louie!



TMG: Is there heaps of local cats putting out mixtapes & EPs to get out there?

LOUIE: To be totally honest im not that in touch with the core scene here, from where I'm sitting there don't seem to be alot happening, the acts you hear on radio and such sound like garbage to me, this dude Ivens from Melb is dope, guy Briggs from melb I've caught live puts on a good show and of course my homies Shelleen & Grips do the good shit.
---
TMG: Do you like the AU hip hop scene or NZ one better?

LOUIE: I prefer NZ, theres more emphasis on style and steez and actually making the shit sonically pleasing, dudes here just seem to rap. I think the downside in NZ is too many people copy trends. Over here too many acts are stuck in the mid nineties
---
TMG: Hows the support going for your music over there? doing you good?

LOUIE: Yeah real good, did 5 national tours last year & got alotta love. Sold quite a few CD's, working on heaps of new shit with some pretty big names, got like 5 projects I'm working on right now, got the studio set up in my house so we constantly at it. Kid Shelleen aka Young Lean's EP is pretty much done, it's gonna blow some dicks off.
---
TMG: Which scene do you prefer?

LOUIE: Australia doesn't have much youth street or gang culture, I like that street shit.

---

So I'm picking NZ for the win? haha but seems like there's solid support & love for the good music over there so that's solid.  Having your own set up seems like the most solid way to stay active on the rhyme/music cause it's right there & you can capture every idea, whether it stays nothing for ages or turns into an instant track.

Louie Knuxx has got a lot of stuff on the way & does shows actively so check him live if you in Kangaroo Land. Otherwise, check his blog HERE (he's active on the posts) and check his album "Wasted Youth" & EP "Drinkin', Drugin', Fightin' & Fukkin".

Here's a one of the dope tracks ft Usual Suspects (off Wasted Youth) for y'all to have, now go buy the rest!

Louie Knuxx - That's Good Feeling Ft Usual Suspects




No comments:

Post a Comment